9.09.2009

Wie bitte? Come Again?

I have my first German test tomorrow (!), but I'm taking a break. Note: Study habits in Europe are like study habits at Duke. Procrastinate, Stress, Procrastinate some more. I don't think I'm exaggerating when saying that learning a new language in a foreign country is exhausting. The work load hasn't been that tough, but constantly having to pay attention to new words and how sentences are formed is a struggle. I almost had a mini meltdown yesterday, but I think I'll be okay. Just need to stay positive!

Due to the nudging of a certain person, I'll update you on what I've been up:

1) Ein, Aus (In, Out)

I signed up for a six-week yoga course through Humboldt University. I love how education is subsidized in Germany, and this class only cost me 12€. However, the course is entirely in German. That wouldn't be so bad... if the teacher didn't like to go around correcting everyone's form. Note: I'm probably the most inflexible person you will meet. So I'm embarrassed enough as it is not being able to bend my body at a 45 degree angle, but this Yogi master has to come prancing around telling me what I'm doing wrong in German. Uhm, what? I open my mouth to say something, but realize it's better to just stay silent. To avoid being approached again, I try to close my eyes as to seem engrossed in meditation...

2) Bundestag (Reichstag)

Courtesy of http://www.feuerwehr-weblog.de/


We visited the German Parliament building on Friday. It is an amazing building aesthetically, and I find it crazy cool how I could literally walk up on a day that the Parliament might be discussing a piece of legislature and SIT IN on their meeting. Yes, to sit in with the Chancellor and Prime Minister at one of their meetings. That could never happen in the U.S.


Where meetings are held




Graffiti from the Russian takeover of the Reichstag after defeating Hitler's regime (mostly just names of Soldiers and the cities they came from)


Inside the glass dome

Top of the Dome



Basically, the building is probably the coolest government structure ever. We got a private tour thanks to Jochen, the Duke in Berlin Program Director.

3) Pretty Colors


My language partner, Agi, took me to the annual international fireworks competition held at Olympiastadium on Saturday. It was quite the spectacle, each country (there were three on Saturday) having to prepare a fireworks show coordinated to music that lasted around 15-20 minutes each.

Fireworks is one of those things I don't think anyone could get sick of. Granted, if I worked at Disneyland every night, it might be a different story. However, there is an imposing quality about fireworks that make them very special. Filling up the sky with sparkles seems too damn good.

But probably the best part of the fireworks was being able to hang out with some locals. Agi is 22 and lives not too far from me. I met her boyfriend and dad. We went to this American-themed restaurant called Route 66 afterward the fireworks show and met up with her friend. Apparently (or obviously), they are obsessed with American culture and are super excited to brush up on their English. What can I say? I guess good ol' USA is pretty cool.

4) Club Circuit

My first weekend out at... Week End, one of the top ranked clubs in Berlin. Not too shabby, huh? I shall start loving techno and trance.

Coming UP: Potsdam && more

1 comment:

Tiffany Chen said...

German yoga?!

You're brave, girl :)